Monday, April 22, 2013

Pound the Sound

Last week I had the opportunity to go to a PD by The Therapist's Toolbox called "Autism, ADHD, Dyslexia & Right-Brain Thinkers". It was quite honestly one of the BEST presentations I've been to! The presenter provided so many tips and tricks that I can't wait to use and share with my kiddos. (Unfortunately, I'll be giving the OAA...So it's not going to happen this week!) I wish I was able to tell you everything that I learned, but I'm not sure I could do it justice. I am however in the process of making some things for my kindies and firsties...I promise to share. 

One of the things that was shared (which most of you already know) is that these students need information provided to them visually...and that black & white text is usually very difficult for them to read. The subtle change of color for the background also is best. These students also learn best when colors are associated with learning tasks. (Hence, the colored circles with numbers). I have a few students who are STILL having difficulty with many phonological skills. I've tried every strategy and tool known to help with segmenting sounds in words. Pound the Sound is my next attempt! I will prove students with a word with 2-5 sounds and have them tap (pound) the circles as they say them out loud.


More to come later...If you are OAAing this week...Good luck.

2 Shout-Outs:

Anonymous said...

This sounds intriguing. I'd love to hear more about what you learned: please share as much as possible including the specifics for implementation. I have some students who could really benefit from alternative approaches. Thank you!

Kate @ EduKate and Inspire said...

That sounds like an amazing PD! I just signed up on their website so I can get notified about future sessions. Can't wait to read more about what you learned!

Kate
EduKate and Inspire

Post a Comment