Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Measuring

Each year I always display snow "people" in my classroom that my students create. Since we were getting ready to begin learning about non-standard measurement, I decided to have them use their snow-person pieces to record the length and height of various classroom items. I didn't give them much direction because I wanted to see what schema they had about measuring. This is the template I gave them...it's also a great activity to see if they can follow directions too!
Build and Measure FREEBIE
My kids enjoyed this activity, but it was helpful for me to see that they really had no idea how to measure...many kids didn't realize that you have to place the pieces side-by-side and many kids asked me how they could measure with only one piece! Here are some pics of what it looked liked...


Bennett uses his carrot nose to measure the length of the carpet.
Alex put his snow-person together after he was done measuring.
Enjoy.

1 Shout-Outs:

Unknown said...

CUTE CUTE CUTE!!! I can't wait to do this! I just posted my snowman unit at my blog...go check it out when you have chance!
☏Johanna
First Grade Fanatic!

Post a Comment